Work directly with and provide support to CSBA's management team and research staff. This position is fluid with evolving requirements to support day-to-day operations and long-term goals.
Research and Analysis
- Research topics broadly related to CSBA’s core areas of study: strategy and policy; future warfare and concepts; military forces and capabilities, and defense budgets and resources
- Review books, reports, journals, media accounts, databases, military and government publications
- Prepare summary memos on special topics
- Prepare reference materials for use in wargames, to include information needed to develop scenarios, orders of battle, technical specifications for key military capabilities
- Draft original written material for use in CSBA publications
- Analyze large data sets, create charts and tables, identify new data sources, and check the accuracy of calculations
- Perform basic financial analysis, such as adjusting for inflation
Writing and Editing
- Edit and fact check papers, op-eds, speeches, and other products
- Assist in writing and editing summaries of work for posting online
- Create charts and graphs and procure digital images for use in publications
- Ensure correct application of the CSBA Style Guide and the Chicago Style Manual on all CSBA publications
- Assemble reports, including printing and binding; help with distribution and outreach efforts
- Bachelors degree and professional work experience in a defense research or policy-oriented environment
- Demonstrated interest in defense policy and military affairs
- Initiative, flexibility, and willingness to “roll up sleeves” and work outside of job description as needed
- Solid organization and time management habits, ability to work alone and as part of a team
- Eligible for a SECRET-level security clearance; prior access/eligibility and higher eligibility/access a plus
- Expert user of MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, MS Word
- Graphic design experience and proficiency with software such as Photoshop, InDesign, etc. is desirable but not required.
If you are interested in applying, please submit a cover letter and resume.
Please reference position title in the subject line.