Publications
Studies

FY 2016 Weapon Systems Factbook

FACTBOOK-cover.jpg

Each year, the Department of Defense (DoD) submits Selected Acquisition Reports (SARs) to Congress detailing the status, plans, and funding requirements for more than 80 major acquisition programs. The most recent available SARs, submitted in December 2014, project funding and quantities for major acquisition programs extending more than 30 years into the future. The SARs project that these programs will need $337 billion over the Future Years Defense Program (FYDP), spanning FY 2016 to FY 2020, and an additional $453 billion in FY 2021 and beyond.

This report summarizes the program plans and funding for each of the major acquisition programs included in the SAR and four additional programs. The Air Force’s Long Range Strike-Bomber (LRS-B), Long Range Standoff Missile (LRSO), and Ground Based Strategic Deterrent (GBSD), the future replacement for the Minuteman III, and the Navy’s Ohio-Class Replacement are not yet reported in the SAR, but enough is known about each program to construct a reasonable cost estimate. These programs are among the largest acquisition programs in DoD’s portfolio, and any discussion of major acquisitions would be incomplete without them. The programs included in this report represent 36 percent of the total acquisition budget in the FY 2016 FYDP. The remaining 64 percent of funding is used for hundreds of smaller acquisition programs not reported in the SAR or other programs too early in development to be included in the SAR.

The report is divided by categories of weapon systems: aircraft, air and missile defense, communications and electronics, ground systems, missiles and munitions, nuclear forces, shipbuilding, and space systems. The aircraft category is the largest among these, both in terms of the number of programs and the total funding projected. It includes fixed-wing, rotary-wing, and manned and unmanned aircraft for all four Services.

Unless otherwise noted, the cost and quantity figures used in this report are from the December 2014 SARs obtained through a Freedom of Information Act Request. The SARs data does not include complete funding projections for some programs, as is noted throughout the report.

Unlike other CSBA budget analyses, cost figures in this report are shown in then-year dollars unless otherwise noted.

Download PDF

Download full “FY 2016 Weapon Systems Factbook” report.

Read full publication

Read the full publication “FY 2016 Weapon Systems Factbook” report using our online e-reader tool.